Sunday, January 07, 2007

Almost ready

My apologies to all of you who have been keeping a close watch of this blog hoping for more news (that is: both of you...). I know I haven't exactly been very diligent in writing since I first started this but I do have a proper excuse.

As I have mentioned before I have a block of examinations coming up this week and for the past three weeks I have been studying like mad. Poor little me even spent New Year's eve on the sofa, reading my text book on Organisational Behaviour! Not the most fun way to spend an evening, I assure you. Any way, starting tomorrow I will have one exam every day for the whole week. Although I will most likely keep on studying until right before I have to walk into the class room, I am by now feeling fairly confident. There are still a few papers left to read and some exercises to do -particularly for accounting, which continues to haunt me in my dreams- but all in all I think I am more or less good to go.

The system for examinations here is quite different from what I was used to in the Netherlands. Almost all of my exams will consist of a series of essay-like questions from which I can then choose (!) a fixed number of questions. Of course all questions are composed of several sub-questions so you can not completely ignore whole sections of the course material but indeed you can direct your learning more towards some preferred areas. I find this concept a bit weird to be honest because it clearly induces selective learning but on the other hand it is reassuring as well. As those of you who know me well will already have guessed though: I still prepared all subjects. I can't help it; it's in my nature to be an overachiever! :) Now let's hope this won't mean I will have wasted precious time that I could have spent better by being more focused...

My bedroom looks somewhat like a war zone at the moment with stacks of paper in every corner of the room. The plan is that as the week progresses, these stacks will find their way into the proper shelves in drawers again. Unfortunately with all the frantic studying I haven't had much time to start working on my 'extra-curricular' project but I expect that after this week that will get under way as well. Now that I have accumulated all this extra knowledge I should be able to put that to good use!

Alright, I think I will now go spend the rest of my evening trying to get some balances to balance and maybe do some creative bookkeeping. Now if only I could learn how to do my own tax returns...

4 comments:

oratonastick said...

Succes, Thyra! Wat voor "extra-curricular" project heb je op stapel staan dan, trouwens?

Thyra said...

Hi Ron! wat leuk van je te horen. Heb trouwens uitgebreid je blog gescand en ga het beslist gebruiken als een muziek referentie lijst! Erg mooi opgezet.

Mijn "extra-curricular" project is eigenlijk een serie projecten die ik voor een van mijn docenten ga doen de rest van het jaar, onder andere voor de WHO! Dit levert me hopelijk vast wat relevante werkervaring als ook publicaties op. Ik zal je een dezer dagen is een fatsoenlijke e-mail sturen maar ben nu even nog iets te druk bezig. :) Succes alvast met al het werk, zowel je nieuwe baan als je proefschrift.

sunburn said...

good luck babes, looking forward to meeting up again in london - perhaps in the spring? and would that count as an extra-curricular activity too?!

Jocelyne said...

Succes!!
Kun je trouwens je adres mailen, dan komt er binnenkort een mooi boek jouw kant op (of zal ik het naar Amersfoort sturen?).

Liefs