Friday, October 05, 2007

Leaving limbo

The vast majority of people will have gotten up this morning thinking to themselves "aaah, it's Friday. Only one more day of work and then it's weekend!". I, on the other hand, woke up thinking "aaah, finally I get to go to work!". After weeks of sitting at home I have at long last started my job at the university.

At first suddenly having no deadline hanging over my head was a welcome relief. Then it became a nice opportunity to catch up on my reading, correspondence and ailing social life. Another week later it turned into a maddening nothingness. A big empty void of days with no purpose other than beating random strangers at online scrabble. I would make one desperate housewife!

Thankfully as of yesterday I am put out of my unemployed misery. I have rejoined the ranks of the working masses to become a good little worker bee. A poorly paid worker bee without a desk to call her own that is. It doesn't matter. I am just so pleased to be spending my days usefully again. Soon I might even start to longingly look forward to weekends again for at least I will have earned them.

4 comments:

Jocelyne said...

Yes, I'm glad that it is Friday, but not because it's the last working day of the week.
It's the only day that I don't have to leave work at five to rush to the children's daycare. Today I can at least try to lose track of time, while immersing myself in science...

Yes, I like to work, and I can very well imagine that you are happy to start working again! Have fun (but enjoy the weekends too ;-))

Edith said...

Great! How was your first (half) work week?

oratonastick said...

Ik denk dat ik toch wel langer dan een paar weken thuis zou moeten zitten voordat ik verval tot het spelen van online-Scrabble! :-p

Thyra said...

Geen kwaad woord over scrabble! Aangezien ik het in 't Engels speel is het een perfecte manier op mijn woordenschat uit te breiden. ;-)