Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Auld Lang Syne

It's almost five months ago now that I moved into my current place, having been rather suddenly booted out of my first London residence. Finding a decent place to live in London is a real challenge, particularly if you're on a tight budget. You wouldn't believe some of the apartments -if that's what you can even call them- I have looked at! By the time I went to view this place I was beginning to feel pretty desperate so it was a pleasant surprise to find a nice and reasonably spacious room. I did have some doubts about sharing a house with no less than four others though. After all, in Amsterdam I had an entire apartment all to myself and I had become quite comfortable in that luxury. The landlady didn't give me much time to think it over and I had to make a snap judgment. Fortunately I have not been disappointed.

The house is old and definitely has some flaws but what has made all the difference is really the flatmates. They are a good bunch. We are a very mixed group with no two nationalities, occupations or personalities alike but that is probably part of the charm. We all get along wonderfully and occasionally do things together; go out drinking in the pub or stay in and have a movie night. Most of them moved in only a few weeks before I did which means that their 6 month contracts are about to run out. All three of the boys have chosen to move out and are now looking for a new place together. For me it would not make sense to move out. I have no idea where I will be in a few months time, whether it be London, Amsterdam or yet another destination, and it would be too much hassle to move for what could well be only a short period.

The past couple of weeks we have seen a parade of potential new flatmates pass by. The landlords seem eager to make the place look as presentable as possible and have cleaned up the mould in the bathroom, replaced the shower curtain and are telling us to do all sorts of bizarre things. They ask us to switch on all the lights, especially in the bathrooms, whenever there are viewings and want us to turn the TV on at MTV. I would be put off by a place where the TV is continuously blaring loud music and the lights are on for no obvious reason but clearly they have a different view on what constitutes effective marketing. So far, however, only one of the three available rooms has been taken so maybe I'm not the only person who doesn't care for MTV after all...!

It will be interesting to see how all these changes are going to affect the atmosphere around the house. I just know I will miss these guys. In a way they have become the people I am closest to in London as we spend so much time together. I have come to think of them as friends and I definitely do hope we will stay in touch.

1 comment:

Ilmari Vaakalintu said...

It was good times as long as it lasted. Sorry we ditched you with those Frenchies:)