Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The final one

It already feels such a long time ago that I reinvented myself by enrolling in business school. I submitted my thesis eight months ago and have had my results for quite some time as well. The only thing I hadn't done yet was graduate. However, as of today, I am officially an alumna of 3 different universities, all vying for my donations and my loyalty (but mostly my donations).

Each of my graduations has been unique in some way. The MSc chemistry was fun for its small scale and personal touch. The PhD...well, that's just such a special day the way we do it in the Netherlands, nothing can top that. And now this one: the most pompous of them all. Never before have I shared my graduation with several hundreds of people. Never before have I had an orchestra present. Never before have I had a little old tailor help me into my never-before worn robes.


The black robes and the purple hood in the back (which you can't see very well in this picture) are the official colours for MSc degrees at Imperial College. The pink V-shaped bit in front is characteristic of the business school. It all looks and feels very Harry Potteresque, minus the wand.

The day was good fun even though the actual ceremony gets very tedious after the first two hundred graduants or so. At least I got to walk across that stage of the Royal Albert Hall, had my name horribly mangled by the announcer and stood attention to God Save the Queen. But that's it. I have done this in all forms and varieties now. There is nothing more to try. Besides, I'll need to start making a lot more money before I can afford to become alumna of any more institutions!
Graduation 17 May 2008

8 comments:

NotABlogger said...

Congratulations! They'll have to invent a new ceremony if you decide to do another degree... maybe something including dancing?

Jocelyne said...

gefeliciteerd!

Anonymous said...

congratulations! nice to see those familiar faces and familiar places :-) did your robe keep dragging backwards and threaten to strangle you? mine did the whole time!!

Thyra said...

That's why a brought a safety pin: the pink strap is safely pinned to my dress to avoid strangulation! :-)

Err, dancing... me or the faculty? In the first case, I think I'll pass but in the second case I would definitely like to see that!

manu said...

Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and great picture! If you ever start a private consultancy practice or something, all these diplomas and pictures will come in handy to fill up wall space; not bad.

oratonastick said...

Van harte gefeliciteerd! En je moet maar zo denken; massa's kinderen over de hele wereld zijn jaloers op je omdat jij een dag Harry Potter hebt mogen spelen! ;-)

Maakte die fles champagne trouwens deel uit van het afstudeerpakket, of moest je die zelf verzorgen?

Thyra said...

De fles champagne was als dank dat ik -maanden geleden- als alumna heb staan kletsen met de nieuwe studenten. Geen verkeerde beloning: een fles Bollinger! Samen met de flessen die ik gekregen heb voor mijn verjaardag heb ik er nu 3 op mijn kamer staan (alle 3 verschillend). Iemand voor champagne?