Thursday, July 24, 2008

Around the world in 80 days

"The world has grown smaller, since a man can now go round it ten times more quickly than a hundred years ago. ... you can go round it in three months"

"In eighty days," interrupted Phileas Fogg.
Around the world in 80 days was one of my childhood favourites. That and the Travels of Marco Polo. Both books tell the most incredulous, marvellous travel stories my child's imagination could fathom. I devoured these stories of Phileas Fogg in the Indian jungle and Marco Polo visiting the Kublai Khan. Great stuff to dream away by on a rainy day in dreary Holland. The times of the Mongol empire and of trans-Atlantic steamers are long gone -and with them a sense of adventure- but at least in the amount of kilometres I will be getting in these next few months I am starting to emulate my childhood heroes!

Early August will first see me jetting off to the North for a few days of holiday. There I intend to fill my lungs with the fresh air of the great outdoors, my belly with yummy goodies, and my liver with some tasty red wine, all in the company of my dear friend MyYear. With barely enough time to do my laundry and to repack for warmer climates, I am then headed far South for two weeks of work. It's a very exciting assignment and one I really look forward to. It should be a great opportunity to put some of our theoretical work of the last few months to the test in a real field situation. It's a pity though that I won't be able to tag a few days at the end for some touristic wanderings through this country that has so much to offer in terms of natural beauty but I need to be back in London on time to pack my moving boxes. Hopping slightly to the East I then cross the Channel to settle back into my own apartment. I can't get too comfortable though as, before another month is out, I am expected to head back further East to follow-up on my last journey.

Travelling seems to be part of my new life and career. So far I am loving the opportunities it is giving me. At this point in my life, where I can easily hop on a plane at a moment's notice, I am going to take full advantage of it. But by taking full advantage I also mean making sure I don't end up like this guy:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't wait for you to come over! do you think it's time to change my name officially yet? :-)

Thyra said...

I am really looking forward to it too! As for changing your name; change it to what exactly? You seem to have so many options: Sunburn/MyYear/Mrs. Snow...can I just stick to using your real name? :-)

oratonastick said...

Ik voel toch wel een beetje mee met de man in het filmpje. Ik ben nu een keer of vier voor mijn werk in Parijs geweest, maar die Eifeltoren heb ik nog altijd niet gezien...