Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Dark Knight

Whilst we are on the topic of childhood favourites, let me share another one of mine with you: Batman, the series. I was absolutely glued to the tv every day when the caped crusader and boy wonder took on those bad guys; the joker, the riddler, the penguin, catwoman. Lots of cheesy one-liners and even cheesier fight scenes:


I really took that voice-over at the end very literally: "Tune in tomorrow — same Bat-time, same Bat-channel!". Not long ago I realised one of our channels here is running re-runs of this 60's show. It was already an old show when I watched it but boy, that series really hasn't stood the test of time! It's so hilariously amateurish that I couldn't bring myself to watch it and thus ruin a dear memory.

As far as I am concerned, the Batman movies of the 80's and 90's were hit and miss. I really liked the dark style of Tim Burton and thought Michael Keaton actually worked surprisingly well in the roll of the tormented playboy-by-day, vigilante-by-night but then the movies went hopelessly of track with Batman & Robin the absolute low point, though I didn't much care for Batman Forever either (com'on, Val Kilmer?!) And then it went quiet for a while around my favourite superhero...

But Batman is back with a vengeance! Batman Begins was simply a great movie, harrowing and dark and striking a great balance between the surreal comic book effect and realistic suspense with an über-scary villain. Christopher Nolan's latest creation The Dark Knight has just hit the cinemas and has created quite a buzz, not in the least owing to the performance of the recently deceased Heath Ledger. When I wanted to see it this weekend it was sold out clean. Tonight I managed to catch a showing though. So, is it really as good as the reviews say it is? Absolutely. Heath Ledger is indeed very strong in his role of the Joker, a far more creepy and credible rendition than Jack Nicholson's earlier take on the role.


In all the hype Christian Bale has been a bit overlooked but he certainly gives great depth to the lonely Batman character, whilst easily pulling off a great Bruce Wayne. My only problem with the movie is that it is a tad too long. It wouldn't have hurt to cut the movie short by about half an hour, especially since the last bit carries enough potential to kick off another movie. At any rate this is a warmly recommended movie and one that might well give me some trouble sleeping tonight.

2 comments:

Jocelyne said...

If Heath Ledger is even scarier as The Joker than Jack Nicholson, I don't think I should see this movie. I had nightmares for week after seeing Batman in the cinema (although I was only twelve years old at the time).

Thyra said...

He's quite a bit scarier in fact and the violence is a lot less cartoonesk and more gripping. This Joker is nothing to laugh it! Although the image of him dressed up as a nurse is quite funny (but still scary!). Just don't take the kids...