Thursday, August 07, 2008

Parting is such sweet sorrow

Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow,
That I shall say good night till it be morrow. [from: Romeo & Juliet, W. Shakespeare]
Up until a week or two ago I had mostly just been excited about the prospect of moving back home soon. However, although I am still just under a month away from leaving behind the Big Smoke, my hectic travel itinerary for August means that I effectively have only a handful of days left in London, and thus I have had to start saying my goodbyes to a lot of people with a heavy heart.

Over the last two weeks I have said auf wiedersehen to a number of dear friends at occasions that more often than not involved bottles of champagne. Unfortunately, the relative suddenness with which everything has unfolded has meant that I haven't even been able to wave adieu at everybody in person. I hope to be able to make this up by visiting London soon again. Even at work I have yesterday packed up my desk, handed in my key card and said my so longs . The office is in fact getting very empty as the ripple effect from my boss' decision has been a mass migration to greener pastures. Come September there will only be a handful of people left.

I have arrived in Norway late last night and will be enjoying a short holiday here for a few days. As we are moving further up North this evening I will actually find myself completely cut off from work, unable to answer any emails. Given the flurry of those that I sent and received in the last few days, trying to get all my ducks in a row, that will be unnerving and cathartic at the same time. Time to let go, at least for a couple of days.

3 comments:

NotABlogger said...

Have a great time in the Great Norwegian North. I have a feeling you'll return refreshed and full of good food!

Thyra said...

Fresh air, good food, lots of wine and some scrabble is the recipe for the next few days I think! :-) The weather isn't great but all the better for snuggling up inside.

How's your 'surprise' coming along?

oratonastick said...

Klinkt goed, afgezien van dat Scrabble dan. (Niks aan, ik win toch altijd! ;-)) Geniet van je vakantie!