Thursday, August 28, 2008

It's the final countdown

Barely back from Tanzania I am preparing once again to pack my bags. Or rather, to pack my moving boxes. In 3 days from now I will be back in the country where the trains are yellow, the cows black and white and the royals Orange.

Since my arrival here almost two years ago, the original collection of my local belongings has expanded from a single suitcase to a room full. Getting everything to the other side of the Channel proved either a logistical or financial nightmare or both. Carrying things with me by plane was a definite no-no. Too much stuff, not enough luggage allowance. Going through a shipping company was no option either. Too expensive. Royal Mail might be cheaper but errr... let's say I value my belongings too much and I'd like to see them again. This decade preferably. Fortunately there is always super-mom to the rescue! She has graciously offered to drive all the way here to London to collect me and my belongings. Of course I suspect she just wants to make sure I really do come back so she'll do whatever it takes but still...

I am quite looking forward to being back. It will be wonderful to be closer again to some people I have seen too little of these last 23 months. But I will miss London too. Moving closer to some friends means moving away further from others. Not that I will stay away from London very long anyway though. Less than a fortnight after arriving in Amsterdam I am due back in London for a few days for some meetings. I dread to think of my carbon footprint these days. At least in Amsterdam I will be greenly pedal-powered again. Only, the bike I left behind has since collapsed and died. I don't suppose any of you has a bike for sale?

5 comments:

manu said...

Hurray for mom! I can't wait to have you back!

Jocelyne said...

I'm so happy that you are (almost) back!!
Let's meet up next week!

Thyra said...

I look forward to seeing both of you soon too!

Jocelyne, let's also try to arrange something with the other "recent arrival" soon! If I am not mistaken she is coming back this very same weekend as well. Amsterdam Oost/Watergraafsmeer will have a few more familiar faces in it by next week . :-)

NotABlogger said...

No bike, but glad you'll be back in town! Hope the move is a piece of cake (or that there's cake at the end - in the middle - whenever).

Thyra said...

Hi notablogger,
how are you holding up for this last stretch? I'd love to come visit you for a "kraamvisite" soon!