Sunday, August 24, 2008

Scintillating Zanzibar

Of course there are also times when I simply have the best job in the world. This weekend a 2-hour ferry trip transported me to another world all together. I've had the opportunity to spend time in the island that put the zan in Tanzania: Zanzibar.

The old part of Zanzibar city, Stone Town, is completely unlike Dar es-Salaam. It's Lion King meets Aladdin. Having been ruled by Omanian sultans and as a once focal point for the slave trade between East Africa and the Middle East, Zanzibar has a unique character heavily mixing Arab influences with Swahili culture. The Arab influences are most clearly visible in the local architecture, in particular the town's famous carved doors. Stone Town itself is a maze of little streets in which you will inevitable get lost. Not that that matters as each alley way brings its own charm and sooner or later you are bound to end up somewhere familiar again. To be fair, it is quite touristy here and at times it feels like the whole town is just one big curio shop but the atmosphere is wonderful nonetheless. The fact that it is right on the deep blue waters of the Indian Ocean certainly does not do it any harm either.

Doors of Stone Town, Zanzibar

To my sheer unadulterated pleasure my hotel was also one of the cutest little boutique hotels I have ever had the good fortune of staying in. No insomnia this time in a beautiful 4-poster bed surrounded by netting and lush pillows. Mixed with a wonderful dinner and the sun on my face I have had an unbelievably relaxing weekend. Zanzibar also has some magnificent sandy beaches and reputedly is a paradise for water enthusiasts. I wish I could give you a firsthand account of all that too but a weekend is simply not enough to experience all the island has to offer. Tanzania on the whole is too big and interesting a country to be done in weekends and forgotten hours. It is a good thing then that I will have to come back here. If I can manage at all at any point I will certainly try to add on some holidays.

1 comment:

Edith said...

Great pictures! And your job sounds great, too! :)