Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Careful, she bites!

Some days you just wonder why you bothered opening your eyes at all. Today I'm having one of those days. It actually started yesterday already. The day had started well enough, despite some lack of sleep, as I had just had a great weekend with friends. Then the trouble started. Just as they were about to leave, the landlord unexpectedly showed up giving us a rather inquisitive, disgruntled look. Sure enough, in the evening I received an email sternly reprimanding me about having allowed multiple guests to stay over at the premises. Now, there are no consequences or anything but that email was a non-too-subtle reminder that at the moment I am living at the mercy of others. It put me in a foul mood for the rest of the evening.

Sometimes a good night's sleep can have a soothing, tempering effect but not today. I must have gotten out the wrong side of the bed this morning or something because my spirits had dipped below freezing point. I'm usually already fairly slow in the morning but today I was moving at the speed of a slug. I finally managed to drag myself out of the house, much later than usual, only to find that my bus was nowhere in sight. Of course when at last a bus appeared it was completely packed. I had to squeeze my way in, nuzzling my face into somebody's smelly armpit. I think the bus driver must have been in an equally bad mood because about halfway along my route he suddenly decided to dangerously cut off another driver who reacted in predictable fashion. The two men clambered out of their vehicles and entered into a display of verbal abuse. As they did not appear to be coming to a quick resolution of their dispute I, like most other passengers, got off the bus and continued my way on foot. If at this point I had been a cartoon character, you would have seen a dark black thunder cloud suspended over my head! Even without the cloud though, it must have been obvious to the unsuspecting passersby that I was in no mood to be messed with as people arched their way around me at a safe distance. Naturally I was late for class so I had to slide into one of the few available seats left in the front, in the immediate line of sight of the lecturer, making me the obvious target when he marked out some 'volunteers' for a class presentation. Things have just kept piling up all day. They are all small, little things that on a good day wouldn't bother me at all but today my tolerance threshold is alarmingly low.

I don't know when I will finally manage to snap out of this grump but I reckon it won't be today anymore. If you happen to be unfortunate enough to encounter me on the street this afternoon on my way home: better beware. You'll have no trouble recognizing me. I'm the girl who looks like she is ready to bite your head off should you look at her the wrong way!

4 comments:

Jocelyne said...

What a bossy hypocrite is your landlord!! When he saw us, he was very nice and friendly.
I can imagine that you are in a foul mood. I hope you replied with stating that he is a coward for not reprimanding(?!) you directly.

I hope your mood will improve quickly (and sorry for depriving you of sleep).

Thyra said...

Hi there,

you didn't deprive me of any sleep, trust me! I just don't sleep well sometimes, had nothing to do with you guys. As for the landlord, unfortunately I still need another contract extension so I couldn't get too high and mighty with him. I'm ashamed to admit it but all I did was simply promise "it wouldn't happen again". Don't worry about it though, my other flatmates also do it all the time. Just happened to be a case of bad timing. Was great having you here!

oratonastick said...

Gheghe, blij dat je een eind uit de buurt woont tegenwoordig! ;-) (Maar ik ken het gevoel, en bij mij gaat het ook nooit meer dezelfde dag over.)

Unknown said...

poor Thyra! i hate those English people sometimes!
I hope you're better now!