Saturday, February 24, 2007

Hello World!

A few minutes ago I pushed the button; hit submit and sent myself off into the world. What I have sent out is my very first real job application.

It's quite ridiculous come to think of it. Here I am, 28 years old, and I have never seriously applied for a job in my life. Academics is a funny place to be in in that respect. Everything is done so much more informally. I remember when I was looking for a Ph.D. position I sent one single e-mail, casually enquiring about the possibility of joining that group. A few weeks later I was sitting in the office of the man who would end up being my supervisor, feeling absurdly overdressed in my skirt suit and high heels. We had a chat, I was dragged around the labs and that was essentially it. Sure, for correct form he asked my undergrad supervisor for some references and I did give him some rudimentary C.V. but there were no tough questions, no formal assessments. My next job was thrown my way by the Institute Director who was looking for somebody with a scientific background but with an interest in management. As there are remarkably few of those people around -wonder why- and he knew about my plans for the future, the job was mine for the taking.

This position I applied for now is at one of the big consultancy firms and things couldn't be more different. I uploaded my details online and it will end up at the desk of somebody whose name I don't even know. Should it kindle an interest on their behalf, I expect there will be a long trail of tests and interviews ahead of me. I'm not overly fussed about it. It will be interesting to see what my chances are, particularly since the job description asks for somebody with more experience than I actually have, but I won't be terribly upset if they show no interest. Of course I'd prefer not to be rejected but I have to be realistic about my odds. Even if they would offer me the job, however, I'm not convinced I would take it. The job description was rather vague and I am not at all sure it is what I am looking for but you can't win unless you compete, right?

We'll see what happens but at least the wheels have been set in motion. Hopefully in the next few weeks and months I'll find some more job opportunities. It's time for me to get out there and start facing the scary 'real' world!

No comments: