Friday, February 23, 2007

Going political, just this one time...

Every once in a while you may read a book that grabs you by the throat; a story that stays with you long after you have put the book down. About three years ago I read such a book. In English it was published under the title “Until death do us part” (published in Dutch as “Woede in mijn hart”) and it is an autobiography written by the Colombian former presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt. I don’t remember any more why I bought this particular book. I probably just picked it up as part of my regular dose of Waterstone’s, but it has been one of the most powerful stories I have ever read. I must profess my political ignorance as until I read this book I had never heard of Ingrid Betancourt. This is perhaps all the more shameful because at that time she had already been in the hands of the Colombian guerrilla movement FARC for almost two years.

Today, 23 February 2007, it is exactly 5 years ago that Ingrid Betancourt and her campaign manager Clara Rojas were kidnapped. The last proof of life their families received dates back to 2003 when the FARC released a video tape with a powerful speech made by Ingrid Betancourt. Since then there has been nothing to tell whether they are dead or alive.

Those of you who know me know that I don’t really ‘do’ heroes and I certainly am not inclined to any hero worshipping. This woman’s story, however, has deeply moved and inspired me. At serious risk to her own life she tried to take on a deeply corrupt political system to fight for democracy, stability and peace. The Colombian government that came into power shortly after her disappearance has thus far refused talks with the FARC stating they will not negotiate with terrorists. The FARC in turn continues to drag civilians into this armed conflict. At present it is uncertain if and when this conflict will ever be resolved or what the outcome will be for the hundreds of hostages.

I believe the story of Ingrid Betancourt is one worth being told and I strongly urge you to read this book. It provides a detailed insight into the political situation in Colombia in particular and the American politics in the region in general. If you are interested and want to know more, a good place to start is at http://www.betancourt.info/indexEng.htm

1 comment:

oratonastick said...

He Thyra! Nou, ik had het lezen van je blog een tijdje verwaarloosd in de veronderstelling dat de post-frequentie wel op eens-in-de-twee-weken zou blijven liggen, maar ik moet zeggen; je begint de smaak aardig te pakken te krijgen! De verhalen worden ook steeds mooier, vooral die over het fietsen, de prijzen in Londen en je wandeltocht vond ik erg leuk om te lezen! Ik zal je blog wat beter bijhouden vanaf nu! (Ik reageer nog steeds gewoon in het Nederlands, hoop dat je dat niet erg vindt, reageren in het Engels voelt op een of andere manier gewoon zo "onzinnig"!)