Saturday, April 28, 2007

Sloshed

To any teetotallers out there and to my mum: please stop reading now. The picture I am about to paint here is not a pretty one.
I have just had what I sincerely intend to be a one-of-a-kind Friday night. There are a few things you need to know in order to understand what happened:

1) My exams had just finished. It had been a very stressful week and we were all celebrating it was over.

2) A week before I had literally burst out of one of my tops, a none too subtle sort of way of telling me perhaps it was time to shed those winter kilos. So for all of last week I have been dieting. Not the sensible kind but the kind where you essentially just starve yourself. I had had no more than 2 slices of bread and some tea all day...

3) English wine glasses are HUGE. They generally hold about 250 ml so even if you have had "only 3 glasses", that means you have drunk a bottle.

With such a dangerous cocktail of ingredients the result should have been predictable. I can honestly say I have never made such a spectacle of myself before. The only good thing is I made it to the restaurant's bathroom in time. The bad thing is I didn't quite make it all the way over to the toilets. Also unfortunately; I was drinking my usual red, not stainless white. I am ashamed to admit that I was regurgitating a bit more than just the principles of Marketing yesterday. That is one place in London where I can never show my face again!

Even worse than being this horribly drunk is being horribly drunk in a foreign tongue. English comes pretty natural to me these days. Most of the time I think in English and sometimes I even dream in it. There are really only two instances where my English starts to break down. The first is when I am exhausted, the other is when I am drunk. Yesterday night I was both. I fear I must have been talking complete gibberish, or at the very least some awful 'Dunglish'.

I was kindly taken care of by a friend who guided me out of the restaurant and into a cab. Angela: you are an angel for putting up with me! Now that the killer headache has subsided, embarrassment is taking over. So this is what it feels like to be a student in Britain.

6 comments:

Katie T said...

Don't worry Thyra - we haven't even shown you the way of the British student yet - we haven't made it to a ropey student night with very cheap alcohol & podiums for dancing on....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

well, Thyra! what's all this! Then again, i do have troubles picturing you as a typical "British student", they can be pretty extreme (at least over here they are!). Anyway, I do hope you feel better now.
So what's next? more classes or finally the fun stuff: internship?

oratonastick said...

Au!

Thyra said...

"i do have troubles picturing you as a typical "British student"."

Better believe it, it was indeed pretty terrible. Got to the point of nearly passing out right there in the restaurant. Or falling asleep, don't know which one. :-) Had to even wash the red wine stains out of my socks...

Not time for the internship quite yet. First we have to do a business plan competition. Any bright ideas for a stellar new business venture anyone?

Katie T said...

No sleep, no food & red wine is a very bad comination. We were all in a bad way on Friday - Eric lost his toilet roll on the way home and can't remember how :)