Monday, April 30, 2007

Oranje boven!

I haven't really felt homesick since I moved to London -Holland just isn't that far away- but today I am feeling a bit melancholic. For the first time in years I can't join in the wonderful madness of Queen's day in Amsterdam. I am neither very patriotic nor a big fan of the monarchy but I do love Koninginnedag. I love strolling through the Vondelpark and seeing all the kids with their tiny screechy instruments, the egg races and all sorts of bizarre games. I love the organised chaos of the boat parade and I generally just love the whole party atmosphere that takes over the city. It's 'gezellig'!

To soften the blow of having to miss all of this this year, on Saturday I went to the London Holland House event sporting a bright orange top. Everybody with Dutch blood running in their veins and living in London was probably there. It was really weird being in a place where so many people were dressed in orange and speaking Dutch...while being in London. As one might expect it was quite a cliched event. (pictures!). Obviously there was a Volendammer herring cart, a stroopwafel vendor, dutch cheese girls, flowers and of course Heineken. There was even a guy making clogs, something I have never seen on any Queen's day before! Amazingly enough I even ran into a familiar face from the lab. It was fun but it can in no way match the real thing.

So today I am feeling a bit sad knowing I'm missing out on all this. I have put on my white trousers and a blue shirt and varnished my toe nails bright red so in my own subtle way I'm still keeping up our national colours. Next year I will definitely try to be there again. I hope all of you in Holland are having a great time today. Happy Queen's day!

3 comments:

oratonastick said...

Een Hollands feestje in Londen. Oranje topjes... Jij doet wel discutabele dingen de laatste tijd, Thyra! ;-)

Unknown said...

hey Thyra, i did miss Koninginendag!!! Can you imagine?

Thyra said...

Wat is er zo discutabel aan oranje topjes? Heb deze al gekocht voor Koninginnedag een jaar of twee geleden... draag het welgeteld 1x per jaar! ;-)