Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My golden ticket

It's been a while since I gave an update on my plans for life after I finish my degree. Mostly that's because with all the assignments and exams going on I simply haven't had much occasion to think about it, let alone take any action. Well, the lecture & exam part of my course is behind me so it's time to start focusing on the future. And it looks like that future will involve me hanging around in London for another while.

I have mentioned before that over the summer I will be working on a really interesting and exciting project for my final thesis. In a nutshell, we'll be looking at the resource allocation (techno-speak for spending money) on combating tuberculosis in parts of Central Asia. I won't be doing this all by myself obviously as it involves a lot of work and, even more importantly, requires some real serious experience. The work will be part of the ongoing research at the College. The whole project will also most likely take substantially more time than the three months I have to do my thesis work in. Which is why my time here in London will be stretched out.

My supervisor on this project has invited me to stay on in his group for a while so that I can gain some relevant experience and further build my resume. He is a real authority in his field and this is a great opportunity for me. Naturally I am taking him up on his offer. We'll be working on some other projects as well. My position in the group will more or less be that of an intern. I will not be directly employed by the University but I will be getting some sort of pay. I haven't even asked how much or for how long. The opportunity is too good to let such 'trivial details' matter. ;-) The idea is that with the added experience and his contacts doors will open for me that without are much harder to crack. I will have to prove myself of course but at least I am getting the best leg up I could possibly hope for. Now it's up to me to climb that wall to my dream job.

1 comment:

oratonastick said...

Gefeliciteerd, Thyra! Veel succes met de opdracht! En mocht je financiele situatie toch wat nijpend worden dan moet je je maar melden. Dan stuur ik dat voedselpakket alsnog op! (En ik heb ook nog wel wat oude kleren die ik niet meer draag. Kun je nog een beetje in groeien! ;-))