Monday, July 16, 2007

Me, Myself and I

I've given a fair bunch of presentations in my life and I can honestly say that over the years I have learned to enjoy it. In school I hated getting up in front of the whole class for a "spreekbeurt", but once in uni I started to get used to it and realised I was in fact even quite good at it. In academics it just becomes part of the job; speaking in public about your work. The things about these workdiscussions is that your topic is pretty much set for you. You just talk people through your latest results or explain why you think a particular paper is interesting.

The presentation I am at the moment trying to put together for later this week is of a very different nature. I actually managed to get through to the final round of that job application I mentioned before. It's a whole day so-called "assessment centre", which means I am going to be quizzed, probed and put under the microscope for 7 hours! As part of the assessment they want me to give a 10 minute presentation on...me. I have 10 minutes to explain why I am the best thing since sliced bread for them.

I have talked about many things before but never a full presentation just on me! It feels absurd to do it. It makes me feel rather uncomfortable even. I mean, come on: that's just egotripping in public. I have to seriously go out there and sing my own praises; bragging about my naturally wonderful analytic abilities, my sharp intellect and my fabulous social skills...or something. How do you do that without sounding like an arrogant twat?

1 comment:

oratonastick said...

En? Ben je al aangenomen?