Sunday, July 01, 2007

Take a deep breath

Aaaaaah...so nice! As of today England enforces a full smoking ban in all public places like restaurants, pubs and clubs. This means that after a night out my clothes won't reek so bad anymore the next day. And it won't be necessary to immediately wash my hair to get rid of the ash tray smell. I am a big fan of the ban!

I have never really smoked in my life. I tried it once on a drunken evening many years ago with my flatmates. One of them had a pack of cigarettes (Belinda menthol, if my memory serves me right!) and well...why not? I didn't choke on it or anything but I couldn't see the appeal of it either. I'm glad I didn't. I have seen too many of my friends struggle with trying to quit the cancer sticks. Some had less difficulties but in general I can see it is not an easy habit to kick.

Not that I need it, but I have an added incentive to stay away from cigarettes. The WHO, as the prime advocate of the anti-tobacco movement, has a very strict no-smoking policy for its employees these days . You can not even apply for a job if you smoke, unless you are willing to quit instantly. It is hard enough to get into an organisation like that as it is so if there is an easy win to be had, I'll gladly take it.

1 comment:

oratonastick said...

Discriminatie daar bij de WHO! ;-)

Maar het lijkt mij ook wel wat, zo'n rookvrije horeca. Laat Klink maar gewoon lekker haast maken.