Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The End of a Journey

It is my last day here in Ghana. I have finished my interviews, which means I am a free woman today. My flight is a redeye so I don’t have to be at the airport until late this evening. My hotel, on the other hand, is kicking me out by noon so I will have much time left to explore Accra one more time before I head back to cooler climates. Having meandered my way through the city for over a week I feel I have seen much of what there is to see. Even my souvenir shopping is largely done already as I am not inclined to stuff my –shoebox sized– room any further with wood carvings and also, Accra is not exactly the Walhalla of shopping. I will probably head over to visit some of the last things on my must-see list.

During my time here, I have shared much of what I saw with you but the number of impressions exceeded what I could keep up with in this blog. Just to give you a flavour of the things I was not able to write about:
• The first time somebody makes that hissing ssshh sound at you, you find it offensive. Soon enough though you realise it is simply the Ghanaian way of saying ‘hey’ to get your attention.

• Ghanaians drive Dutch cars. I don’t mean Dutch brands (are there any?) but vans that actually still have the Dutch advertisements printed on them: Verse vis van Vishandel Smit or Loodgietersbedrijf Jansen, een vertrouwde naam. It turns out there is a lively trade in second-hand vehicles between the Netherlands and Ghana!

• A smoking ban would not meet with any resistance here. In fact, it would go practically unnoticed: Ghanaians just don’t smoke. Even drinking appears to be uncommon. Given the sheer number of homeless people I have seen, it is remarkable to see so few drunks or druggies. Every country has its own set of problems I suppose.


• Coca-Cola rules the world. Even in the tiniest of villages along the road, stalls are still covered in those red-and-white advertisements. On the local TV I saw a villager in the North of Ghana being interviewed about the draught there. He shrugged and answered they always still had Coca-Cola and, if necessary, he would wash himself with it. That’s the power of marketing for you.
I could go on but basically I think you should come experience it for yourselves. I have found Ghana, at least the part of it I have visited, to be very accessible and welcoming to strangers. Even for a woman travelling on her own, Ghana feels quite safe. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to see the fabled beaches further east but I have been told they are breathtaking and worth a visit in itself. Ghana does not yet have the developed tourist industry of, for instance, Thailand but it makes up for that in authenticity if that is what you are after. The current government has committed itself to making Ghana a middle-income country by 2015. Having seen some of the country for myself I don’t consider that a very realistic target but one that certainly deserves a try. Tourism is perhaps one way of helping it get there.

2 comments:

Jocelyne said...

Have a good trip back!

sunburn said...

safe trip and hope to speak soon!