Thursday, February 21, 2008

Home sweet home?

Well, that's it. I'm back in grey London which feels markedly colder than when I left it almost two weeks ago. I am still feeling a bit shell-shocked to be back here, having only so recently been sweating it out under the sub-Saharan sun. I spent yesterday paying one last tribute to Accra by visiting the 'tourist attractions'. It does give you a good feel for how far behind the local tourist industry still is that I managed to do all this in just about three hours and that was on foot.

The National Arts Centre is a highly inflated name for what is basically an open craft market where you can buy wood carvings, beadwork and above all kente. I had no intention of buying but wondered around a bit nonetheless. Although window shopping alone is of course not much appreciated by the local stall holders, I was surprised how easily they gave up when I made it clear I was only looking. The Istanbul Bazaar was much harder to navigate. I paid tribute to Ghana's founding father at the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial and tried to get close to Osu Castle. Unfortunately, the presence of a certain someone in Ghana made it impossible to navigate this part of the city with police patrolling everywhere. The Ghana National Museum, finally, turned out to be a rather odd assembly of Ghanaian artefacts mixed with random replicas of Greek statues. Much as I encourage you all to visit Ghana, I would recommend you aim to spend not too much time just in Accra.

And now I am home. At least, I am back in London. It's a bit strange to call it home for I have actually spent more nights in my Accra hotel than I have in my current room so far! And there I had a nice shower and WiFi access, two things that are still lacking where I live. At the current weak dollar it is even cheaper. Still though, I cannot deny that I am quite happy to be back in the land of plenty.

No comments: